Current Scope of Practice
General litigation practice with primary focus on civil appellate matters, complex litigation, and insurance coverage. Extensive experience before Texas intermediate courts of appeals, the Supreme Court of Texas, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Practice also includes representing corporate, institutional, and individual clients in federal and state district courts across Texas. Nature of cases handled include insurance law and coverage, personal injury, contractual indemnification, construction defects, bad faith, contract disputes, landlord-tenant disputes, first amendment, patent infringement, antitrust, complex commercial matters, and general business disputes.
- University of Texas School of Law at Austin; J.D. 1989
- Georgetown University, Washington; Cum Laude, B.S.B.A. 1986, Major: Accounting, Minor: Government
- Touchstone, Bernays, Johnston, Beall, Smith &
Stollenwerck, L.L.P., Partner, 1992 - 2006
- Pepper, Hamilton & Scheetz, Associate, 1989 - 1992
- State Bar of Texas, 1990
- State Bar of California, 1989
- District of Columbia Bar, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 1989
- U.S. District Courts of Texas
- U.S. District Courts of California
- Texas Bar Foundation (Life Fellow)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Dallas Bar Association
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
Member, Diversity Law Institute (LCA)
Member, The Trial Law Institute (LCA)
- Defense Research Institute
Honors and Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to Legal Leaders Texas' Top Rated Lawyers list by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell for excellence in appellate law, business and commercial, and general practice (2016 through 2018)
- Named Appellate Lawyer of the Week by Texas Lawyer magazine in the April 28, 2014 and April 20, 2015 issues.
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Rising Stars 2004 by Texas Monthly magazine
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers 2005, 2012 - 2020 by Thomson Reuters. An honor bestowed on less than 5% of the practicing attorneys in the State of Texas.
- Selected for inclusion in 2014 through 2020 Super Lawyers Business Edition (International) for his Appellate practice.