Background and Current Law Practice
Brett Payne is a trial attorney who represents clients in matters involving personal injury defense, contract and business disputes, construction defects, transportation, products liability, premises liability, and insurance disputes.
Brett has tried cases to a Jury in Travis, Williamson, Bell, Brazos, Burleson, Bexar, Lee, Harris, Coryell, Hays, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Dallas, Grayson, Hunt, Kaufman, Lamar, Montague, Tarrant, and Wise Counties of Texas.
He is currently handling litigation in Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bell, McClennan. Coryell, Burnet, Kerr, Brazos, Bexar, Lampasas, Caldwell, Bastrop, McLennan, Burleson, Lee, Denton, Gillespie, Llano, Milam, Fayette, Anderson, Hamilton and Erath Counties of Texas.
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A. 1991
- Texas Tech School of Law, J.D. 1994
- State Bar of Texas, 1994
- United States District Court:
- Eastern District
- Western District
- Austin Claims Association
- Austin Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers for 2013 and 2014. An honor bestowed on less than 5% of the practicing attorneys in the State of Texas.
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Rising Stars, 2004 and 2006
- Selected for inclusion in the 2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition (International)
Current Representative Matters
- Currently defending national retailer throughout North and Central Texas in premises, pharmaceutical, and security cases.
- Currently defending international manufacturing business in wrongful death and personal injury litigation.
- Currently defending both local businesses and individuals throughout Central Texas in premises litigation.
- Currently defending individuals and national insurance companies in litigation involving serious personal injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents.
- Currently defending individuals and businesses in traumatic brain injury cases.
- Currently defending common carrier in serious injury cases involving mass transit vehicles.
- Currently defending national manufacturer in products liability litigation.
- Currently defending healthcare professional in defamation litigation.
- Currently defending regional business in dram shop litigation
- Currently defending national real estate business in matters involving wrongful foreclosure and conversion of property.
Recent Litigation Accomplishments
- Successfully defended individual in jury trial involving allegations of intoxication and gross negligence.
- Successfully defended individual in jury trial involving allegations of cell phone use and gross negligence.
- Successfully tried wrongful death case arising out of industrial accident, resulting in complete defense verdict for Defendant company.
- Successfully tried wrongful death case arising from hit and run accident with allegations of intoxication, resulting in complete defense verdict.
- Successfully tried premises liability case involving three level back fusion, resulting in complete defense verdict.
- Obtained summary judgment for Defendant business dram shop litigation.
- Prosecuted million dollar fire loss subrogation case on behalf of national insurance company and real estate firm arising out of complete destruction of apartment building.
- Obtained Summary Judgment in favor of premises owner in significant injury case involving shattered leg resulting from twelve foot fall.
- Favorably resolved litigation between stockholders of local restaurant business regarding ownership interest in company.
- Favorably resolved litigation between adjoining property owners regarding water rights and boundary disputes.